You are not alone
We get it. We know what it’s like living with the physical and emotional impacts of this disease. We are here to offer you support whether it be via telephone, email or face to face. Whilst we cannot offer medical advice, we can provide an understanding ear by people who have been through skin cancer and guide you with referrals should you need more assistance
We are passionate about minimising the numbers of Tasmanians being affected by our most common cancer (note melanoma is our fourth most commonly diagnosed cancer but skin cancers as are whole are the most common)
We have two areas of focus:
- raising awareness and preventative measures amongst 15-39 year olds where melanoma is the most commonly diagnosed cancer
- encouraging Tasmanians, especially males over 55, to get to know their skin and get a skin check annually
We also attend many events across the state to spread the word about skin cancer
Skin Cancer Tasmania is a strong voice for those affected by skin cancer. We are locals who understand the geographical challenges that living on our island state brings and the fact that we do not have the same access to large, specialised centres that the larger cities enjoy.
We are passionate about being a patient voice in ensuring Tasmania receives equitable funding, access to treatment and that our medical staff have access to the latest information.
Skin Cancer Tasmania is part of the Australian Melanoma Consumer Alliance (AMCA) as well as the Global Coalition for Melanoma Advocacy.
Skin Cancer Tasmania (incorporating Melanoma Tasmania) is a Tasmanian organisation formed by people who know what it’s like to have or look after someone with skin cancer.
Skin Cancer Tasmania is committed to:
- Providing support and counselling for Tasmanians and their families affected by skin cancer.
- Advocating for awareness, education and early intervention programmes within the community.
- Being a voice at a national level for Tasmanians who suffer from skin cancer. Skin Cancer Tasmania has a representative on the Australian Melanoma Consumer Alliance (AMCA) The AMCA is an alliance of individuals and organisations, all of which come from a consumer perspective wishing to help provide consumers view and related input into research, advocacy, prevention and the general care of patients with Melanoma.